Western University is one of the top-ranked universities in Canada, offering a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in various fields of study.
If you are an international student who wants to pursue your academic goals at Western, you might be wondering how to apply and what scholarships are available for you.
In this blog post, we will provide you with some useful information and tips on Western University’s admission process for international students and the funding opportunities that you can explore.
How to apply to Western University as an international student?
The first step to applying to Western University as an international student is to choose your program of interest from the list of 88 graduate degree programs or 400 undergraduate degree programs offered by the university.
The next step is to check the admission requirements for your chosen program. The admission requirements vary depending on the level and type of program, but generally include:
- Academic transcripts and diplomas from previous studies
- Proof of English language proficiency (such as TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE)
- Standardized test scores (such as GRE, GMAT, or LSAT) for some graduate programs
- Letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, resume, or portfolio for some programs
- Application fee ($125 CAD for undergraduate programs and $100 CAD for graduate programs)
You can find the specific admission requirements for each program on the graduate admissions website or the undergraduate admissions website.
The third step is to submit your online application through the Western application portal for undergraduate programs or the Western Graduate application portal for graduate programs.
The application deadlines vary depending on the program and intake term, but generally fall between October 1 and February 1 for undergraduate programs and between January 15 and March 1 for graduate programs.
What scholarships are available for international students at Western University?
Western University offers a number of scholarships and awards for international students who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership potential, and community involvement.
Some of the scholarships and awards that you can apply for or be automatically considered for are:
- Western International Admission Scholarships: These are four-year awards worth $10,000 CAD in the first year and $5,000 CAD in each of the following three years. They are awarded to international students with an exceptional academic record who have the potential to make outstanding contributions both in the classroom and beyond.
- Global Opportunities Awards: These are one-time awards worth $1,000 CAD that are given to students who are participating in a Western-sanctioned international learning experience, such as an exchange program, a study abroad program, or a field course.
- International Learning Awards: These are one-time awards worth $1,000 CAD that are guaranteed for students who have a minimum cumulative average of 70% and are participating in a Western-sanctioned international learning experience. No separate application is required.
- Sun Light Foundation International Exchange Award: This is a one-time award worth $5,000 CAD that is given to students who are participating in an exchange program with a partner institution in Asia. To be eligible, they must have a minimum cumulative average of 80% and demonstrate financial need.
- German Exchange Travelling Fellowship: This is a one-time award worth $2,500 CAD that is given to students who are participating in an exchange program with a partner institution in Germany. To be eligible, they must have a minimum cumulative average of 80% and demonstrate an interest in German culture and language.
- Ivey Foundation Awards for International Exchange Program: These are one-time awards worth $5,000 CAD each that are given to students who are enrolled in the Ivey Business School and are participating in an exchange program with a partner institution.
We hope that this blog post has given you some helpful information and tips on Western University’s admission process for international students and the funding opportunities that you can explore.